Reproductive Justice Leadership Institute – Offered in New York City AND Atlanta!
Join NAPAWF’s Reproductive Justice Leadership Institute (RJLI), one-year immersion programs, now offered in both Atlanta, GA and New York City, that prepares you to advocate for yourself and your community. The goal of RJLI is to develop strong leaders who can elevate their lived experiences to change public policies that dictate the choices available to women and girls.
At the end of this program, you will be equipped with the tools to be an effective leader for your community in any area you choose. You will complete an independent community research on a topic of your choosing and collaborate on developing the first ever “Blueprint for Reproductive Justice for Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Women and Girls” — particularly for the U.S. South AND in New York City!
The Reproductive Justice Leadership Institute provides:
- Deep knowledge of women’s reproductive justice movement, including your own, at the intersection of race, sex, immigration, and other identities
- Knowledge to make connections between abortion and equity, health, rights and justice – both personally and through an analysis of systemic and structural oppression
- Leadership development training to prepare you for policy advocacy and community organizing
- Community organizing opportunities to connect Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) women’s lived experiences to public policies
- Community based participatory research with AAPI women, too often ignored in demographic studies
- Policy recommendations to improve reproductive justice for AAPI women
Your commitment is crucial!
- Commit to fully participate in the RJLI program for 1 year (See calendar below for varying schedules in the Atlanta RJLI and New York City RJLI programs.)
- Commit to conduct independent research to highlight AAPI women’s experiences
- Represent AAPI women’s voices in the movement for abortion rights
- Collaborate on publishing recommendations on how to increase reproductive justice for women and girls in the U.S. South (RJLI Atlanta) and in New York (RJLI New York)!
Applicants for the following two programs will be selected based on capacity, passion and ability to commit one-year to this project.
Application Deadline: Open until filled (we are taking 10 candidates!)
August: Program Orientation – Applicants get an overview of NAPAWF and RJLI program. Discuss independent study credit and internship program designs, if applicable. Discuss program commitments and support NAPAWF will provide to achieve program goals.
September 17 – 18: Reproductive Justice Leadership Institute Retreat – Leaders will practice courage, deepen their political knowledge, develop community organizing and participatory research skills.
Sep – Mar: Monthly Sessions – Leaders will use these monthly sessions to deepen their knowledge about reproductive justice, storytelling, advocacy and more. During these sessions, leaders will develop and design independent community based research topics.
Oct – Mar: Community Based RJ Research – Each leader will identify a topic they want to research, design and conduct the research. NAPAWF will provide technical assistance and networking to support leaders conducting research.
April (Date TBD): Close out Convening – Leaders will present their research findings and recommendations. Together, we will compile the recommendations into a report.
May – June: NAPAWF will publish the report and disseminate.
Contact Satyam Barakoti
202-470-3170 x 035
This program takes place in Atlanta, GA.
Application Deadline: Open until filled (we are taking 10-12 candidates!)
September 30-Oct 2: Reproductive Justice Leadership Institute Retreat
(Evening of September 30, all day October 2 and 3)
Saturdays 10am-1pm, twice a month on the following dates:
- October 15, 29
- November 5, 12
- December 3, 17
- January 7, 21
- February 4, 18
- March 4, 18
April (Date TBD): Close out convening and press release
Contact Bex Kwan
202-470-3170 x 033
This program takes place in New York City.
Applications are currently closed.