NAPAWF in Chicago, IL
NAPAWF’s Chicago Chapter was founded in 2005 to create a safe space for AAPI women, support and develop AAPI women leaders, and move forward conversations about AAPI women’s issues in the Chicago area. If you are in the Chicago area and would like to learn more about NAPAWF-Chicago and/or would like to get involved, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit us on Facebook by searching for “NAPAWF Chicago”. We look forward to continue growing our chapter, and working with both new and former sisters toward social justice and human rights for all AAPI women and girls!
To create a safe space for AAPI women, support and develop AAPI women leaders, and move forward conversations about API women’s issues in the Chicago area.
2015 Chicago Chapter Leaders:
Karin Lee, Chair/Treasurer
Lyk Le Yoeun, Core Chapter Leader
Pingjing Zou, Core Chapter Leader
With the support of the Chicago Foundation for Women’s Silk Fund, NAPAWF-Chicago launched the Reproductive Justice Survey Project, focused on the sexual and reproductive health and wellness of Asian Pacific Islander (API) women in the Chicago area.
This resource directory is an outgrowth of NAPAWF-Chicago’s ongoing reproductive justice work, as informed by the needs and priorities identified in our Reproductive Justice Survey Project Report.
This directory highlights an array of local organizations that serve, work with, and advocate for API women and girls. We hope to continue to grow this database, and welcome suggestions for additional entries. If you would like to propose additional organizations for inclusion, please contact email@example.com.
RECENT CHAPTER ACTIVITIES:
- October 15, 2015 NAPAWF sister Connie Conner represents the Chicago Chapter in Washington, D.C. on Capitol Hill to advocate on behalf of Chicago and greater Illinois with the Southeast Asia Resource Action Center (SEARAC). She met with the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC) and Immigration And Customs Enforcement (ICE) about ongoing deportations and language access.
- September 17, 2015 Chapter leader Lyk joins All* Above All to support the EACH Woman Act to #BeBoldEndHyde and lift bans of abortion coverage in Washingon, D.C.
- August 1, 2015 Together with the Asian Pacific Islander American Spoken Word & Poetry Summit, we held a “Reproductive Justice Storytelling Circle” at the Korean American Resource & Cultural Center. Participants represented AAPIs not only in Chicago, but also Detroit, Twin Cities, and Indianapolis. Everyone shared their own and listened to others’ experiences of love, family, relationships and self-discovery in the flesh.
- May 22, 2015 Chapter leaders, members, and local AAPI leaders gather for dim sum and great company.
- April 4, 2015 We co-sponsored “Miss India America” at the 20th Annual Asian American Showcase held by The Gene Siskel Film Center and the Foundation for Asian American Independent Media (FAAIM) by Director Ravi Kapoor.
- August 27, 2014 We participated in NAPAWF’s AAPI Immigration Virtual Townhall to talk about how our unjust immigration system hurts AAPIs and why we need immigration action NOW! #FightForFamilies #AAPI
- August 2014 #BlackLivesMatter: We Stand with Ferguson, the Family of Mike Brown, and Our City’s Black Youth – Solidarity Statement of the Chicago Chapter of the National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF)
- July 2014 Reproductive Justice Directory
- Our Chicago Chapter recognizes the importance of Asian Pacific Islander (API) women’s sexual and reproductive health and wellness. We are proud to present a resource directory, highlighting local Chicago organizations that serve, work with, and advocate for API women and girls.
- June 28, 2014 Dyke March
- This year we collaborated with the Latino community. It is a time to celebrate the dyke, queer, bisexual, and transgender resilience as well as bridge together different communities, ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, and age.
- June 7, 2014 Asian American Town Hall
- The Asian American Town Hall meeting hosted a conversation regarding the Chicago Police Department Brutality towards Jianqing Klyzek. Our very own Co-Chair, Sarah Macaraeg, spoke on the issue on behalf of NAPAWF. (Click here to see statement)
- May 2014 Everyday SHEROES May Membership Campaign
- We lifted up 36 Chicago SHEROES throughout the month of May highlighting the powerful work they do each and every day. Learn more about each one of these fierce individuals listed below here.
- May 24, 2014 Reproductive Justice & Asian American Community
- A brief overview about what reproductive justice is and then move into conversation & action on working toward reproductive justice for AAPI folks in Illinois. It was fun and interactive as well as great for both newcomers & movement veterans.
- January 2014 We stand with all immigrant communities fighting deportations as this issue is our issue and as our communities our deeply intertwined. We stand with Mr. Fuentes-Aguilar, a caregiver and economic provider to his child, an American citizen; a worker and soccer coach; a member of the Latino Union where he organizers for low wage immigrant worker rights alongside Filipina caregivers; an American without a criminal record or ties to his home country. Read More
We look forward to continue growing our chapter, and working with both new and former sisters toward social justice and human rights for all API women and girls!
- A subscription to NAPAWF Chicago’s e-newsletters
- A subscription to NAPAWF Chicago’s listserv
- The pride of knowing that you are helping to build a powerful organization and movement
If you are in the Chicago area and would like to learn more about NAPAWF-Chicago and/or would like to get involved, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.