I’ve just been arrested along with over two dozen leaders of immigrant rights, progressive, faith, labor and women’s movements to call on the House of Representatives to act on passing a comprehensive immigration bill that contains a roadmap for citizenship and is fair to women and families.
As Americans, we honor and celebrate our unique commitment to protecting families, and giving equal opportunities and respect to women and girls. Immigrants like my parents came here to share in that vision. Every day I come to work to fulfill that vision for my own little daughters. Yet our current immigration policies tear mothers from their children. Our current policies discriminate against immigrant women.
The House of Representatives has a choice: to do nothing and leave this country divided, or to take strides towards a House united for common sense immigration policy reform that treats women fairly and that keeps families together.
Our elected Congress people are about to leave on summer vacation without passing a comprehensive immigration bill. Inaction is not a solution. It is violation of duty and of our trust. Today I commit civil disobedience with other leaders, to say loud and clear – the time is now to stand on the right side of history.
How can you help?
1. Call Congress at 888-787-9658 right now and tell them to stop tearing families apart.
2. Tweet your support. Sample tweets:
- HAPPENING NOW: @NAPAWF ED & other leaders being arrested 4 #immigration reform. This is only the beginning. #TimeisNow CALL 888-787-9658
- .@NAPAWF ED & other leaders being arrested in demands 4 #CIR that includes women. #TimeIsNow @womenbelong CALL 888-787-9658
- I’m fighting 4 #CIR & path to citizenship. RIGHT NOW Leaders are being arrested 4 it. @napawf @womenbelong #TimeIsNow CALL 888-787-9658
Thank you for taking action. Your support means the world to me.